Watergate Court, Gateshead
Watergate Court has 82 apartments, made up of 47 one bedroom apartments, 20 two bedroom apartments and 15 which are dementia friendly.
Read more on life at Watergate Court.
Watergate Court FAQs
About the facilities
What facilities are available?
There’s lots of facilities at Watergate Court to support you, as well as areas for the wider community to visit, this includes:
- Restaurant and bistro café
- Large communal gardens featuring seated terrace
- Purity spa for hair, beauty and alternative therapies
- Social lounge
- Communal lounges
- Assisted bathing spa suite
- Boutique guest suite
- Landscaped gardens with sensory planting and accessible tranquillity walkway
- Winter garden featuring roof top terrace
- Designated scooter parking and charging area
- The building is equipped with facial recognition CCTV for extra security
Who delivers the care on-site?
Home Group deliver care on-site 24 hours a day, seven days a week for those who have assessed care packages or to respond to emergency needs. You can choose to have your care package delivered by another provider if you'd like to.
About the apartments
How many apartments are there?
There are 20 two bedroom, 47 one bedroom apartments and 15 dementia friendly open plan apartments at Watergate Court.
Are the apartments to rent or buy?
All the apartments are available for affordable rent.
Are the apartments furnished?
No, the apartments are unfurnished, but flooring and an electric cooker and hob will be gifted to the first person to let each apartment.
The plumbing and electrical points needed for a washer/dryer are provided, as well as network points for phone and broadband. WIFI is available throughout the building and in your apartment.
What are the bathrooms in the apartments like?
All the apartments have a wet room style bathroom with a shower. There’s also an assisted bathing suite which you can book to use.
Applying for an apartment
Am I eligible to live at Watergate Court?
To be eligible you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- You’re aged 65 or over. In exceptional circumstances applicants under this age will be considered, for example someone with a long term disability or age related condition
- Any partner living with you is aged 50 or over
- If you’re an older carer with an adult son, daughter or dependant with a learning or physical disability who requires care and support you’ll be considered
- You have a care, support and/or a housing need which has been assessed by Gateshead Council.
- Please note, you’ll normally need to be a resident of the Gateshead area to apply to live at Watergate Court, but we’ll also consider applications from out of the area (for example if you have local connections).
How can I apply to live at Watergate Court?
You can express an interest in living at Watergate Court by contacting:
- Gateshead Council
- Home Group using the form below
- Your social care worker, who can refer you to the Watergate Court Gateway
If you don’t already have a social care worker, you can refer yourself directly to Home Group by using the form below. Once we’ve received your referral, our team can then contact you to chat you through the process. This will include having an assessment with adult social care to determine the level of care and support you need.
How are the apartments allocated?
We work with Gateshead Council to allocate apartments, and decisions will be based on the eligibility criteria.
Living at Watergate Court
Can I bring pets?
We work with you during the assessment process to decide whether it would be suitable for you to bring pets to the scheme, and we assess this on a case by case basis. If you’d like to find out more about our pet policy please let us know by contacting us using the form below.
Is there a laundry room on site?
There isn’t a communal laundry room as there’s space in the apartments to fit either a washing machine or combined washer/dryer. We offer a weekly laundry and housekeeping service at an affordable cost.
Is there car parking?
There is onsite car and motorcycle parking as well as a bicycle shed. There is one electric car charging point. These are available on a first come, first served basis and are managed on a permit system to make sure they’re used by customers, colleagues and visitors to Watergate Court only.
What are the cooking facilities like?
All apartments have a kitchen with a fitted cooker and hob. There’s also a restaurant and café where you can buy meals, drinks and snacks and we also offer a variety of catering packages.
How are repairs managed?
Colleagues at Watergate Court can help you log a repair through our customer service centre. We also have a handyperson available on site who can help with maintenance and repair issues.
What TV services are available?
There are BT lines available and connections for Virgin Media.
Costs and charges
What are the costs and charges at Watergate Court
The rent charge has been agreed with Gateshead Council and is eligible for housing benefit.
The costs start from 133.38 per week for a one bedroom apartment and £156.30 per week for a two bedroom apartment.
There’s also additional service charges from £115.85 a week, this cost is eligible for housing benefit.
How does the billing for utilities work?
Gas, electricity and water are all serviced through one main supply to the building and each apartment will have its own individual smart meter. You’ll pay for these services through Home Group, rather than having to set up an account with a utilities supplier.
Watch our video tour
Take a look around the scheme online.
Number of apartments
47 one bed and 20 two bed, 15 dementia friendly
Roof terrace, communal gardens, guest suite, bistro