Documents required when selling your home

To make sure your sale goes smoothly, it is important to have all the required documents ready for when you decide to sell.

Here are the documents you will need when selling your home with us or an estate agent.

Valuation report

You will need a valuation report when selling your property. Under the terms of the lease a valuation must be carried out by an independent MRICS qualified surveyor. An estate agent valuation or other type of valuation will not be accepted.

The qualified MRICS surveyor will decide the market value of your property. The price you can market and sell your property for is decided by this valuation. The property cannot be sold for any more than the price your share has been valued at.

How long is my valuation report valid?

The report is valid for three months from the date of the valuation, unless otherwise stated by the surveyor within the report. You are required to have a valid report up until the completion date of your sale.

When getting quotes for the valuation, you should also ask what their policy is on extending or updating valuations. You will be responsible for the costs of any updates or extensions.

How do I find a MRICS qualified surveyor?

You will need to find and pay for a surveyor to carry out the valuation report. You can find a qualified surveyor in your area online, just type in your postcode to get started.

What should my valuation report include?

If anything is missing, it could cause delays and reduce the amount of time your valuation report is valid for. A surveyor may also charge an additional fee for any changes that need to be made.

Your valuation report must include the following:

  • The date of the report
  • Signature by the MRICS surveyor
  • The property’s full postal address and description of the property
  • State the valuation is for the marketing and resale of your property
  • State the 100% market value and the value of your share. For example, if the 100% value is £100,000, 25% of the share owned is £25,000
  • The report must state that the property is part of a Shared Ownership or Discount for Sale scheme
  • The surveyor must include three recent comparable properties, valuation rationale and reasoning
  • State the dimensions of each room

Energy performance certificate (EPC)

It is a legal requirement for a property to have a valid EPC when built, sold, or let. An EPC provides details on the energy performance of the property and what can be done to improve it. It is valid for 10 years from the date of the report.

How to check if you already have a valid EPC

You can check to see if there is a valid EPC for your property online.

If there is no valid EPC, you will need to find an assessor and pay for an assessment. You can find a list of accredited assessors online, just type in your postcode to get started.

We always recommend getting a few quotes to compare prices as costs can vary.

Any questions?

Contact us by email or by calling 0191 731 1445 and selecting option 3.

Help us improve our website. Did you find this web page useful?

The information we receive from this form is anonymous. This means we can't get back in touch. If you need our help, please get in touch.