There are lots of simple things you can do at home to reduce the risk of fire in your home.
Did you know that you are four times more likely to die in a house fire if you don’t have a working smoke alarm? All of our Home Group smoke alarms have a test button so give it a press at least once a week to make sure the batteries are working. It might seem small but it could mean the difference between life and death.
If there’s a problem with your smoke alarm, please call us straight away on 0345 141 4663.
Most fires start when people are in the kitchen, so please be extra careful when cooking. Even something as simple as boiling pasta can very quickly turn into a dangerous situation if you’re not careful. Always turn pan handles inwards and keep them away from children at all times. If your pan starts smoking, take it off the heat straight away and leave it to cool.
If you’re using a chip pan, never have more than one third of oil in it and never leave a chip pan alone while it’s in use.
Try to get into the habit of closing all doors in your home before you go to bed. If a fire broke out, the closed doors would help stop it from spreading. You should also switch off electrical items at night, like TVs and computers, and double check that your oven and heaters aren’t on.
Putting too many plugs in a socket could cause them to spark and start a fire. Pull out any plugs you aren’t using and regularly check your wires for any signs of damage, such as cuts or frays.
Fire hazards can lurk in just about every corner of your home, so try to keep your home as safe as you can.
Candles: We recommend not using candles in your home as it only takes a second for a candle to be accidentally knocked over. But if you do use them, keep them in a candle holder, away from anything flammable and out of the reach of children or pets at all times.
Smoking: Remember smoking in bed or on a sofa, leaving a cigarette unattended or emptying a hot ashtray can all very quickly lead to disaster too.
Balconies: Balconies are a great place to relax but it’s really important to think about the safety of yourself and others. Just because it’s outdoors doesn’t mean it’s not a fire risk so read our balcony safety leaflet.
Faulty products: Faulty products, like washing machines and tumble dryers, can cause a fire risk to you and your family. You should register your product with the manufacturer so they can keep you up-to-date with any safety information. You can also check the latest recall information on this Product Recall website.
For more information on how you can keep yourself, your family and your neighbours safe, take a look at our fire safety advice leaflet.