Retirement schemes explained

Home Group offers a perfect combination of private, self-contained living arrangements to suit most budgets.

Our properties are categorised by three different methods of purchase; older persons shared ownership, part equity and outright purchasing. 

OPSO (Older Persons Shared Ownership) 

Cash strapped and looking for an alternative housing option in your retirement? Home Group have a selection of developments in the north east and north west that make owning your own property even more affordable. This is a flexible, low cost way of buying a share in a retirement property for over 55s. The share can range from 25% to 75%, usually with a maximum share of 75% can be bought.    

Home Group owns the remaining share and you will pay a subsidised rent on that share. If you buy more shares, you will pay less rent. If you choose to buy the maximum 75% share, you will pay no rent on the remaining 25% share; it’s entirely up to you. A monthly service charge is also payable. 

As an OPSO (older persons shared ownership) home owner, you will be responsible for the maintenance and repairs on your home. If you live in an apartment, Home Group will be responsible for the communal areas. 

If you are interested in purchasing one of our homes you will need to meet an affordability assessment and independent living criteria.  As well as these, other qualifying criteria may also apply to some of our retirement developments. 

Part Equity – Leasehold Schemes for the Elderly (LSE) 

These private schemes are designed to provide affordable and manageable home ownership for older or retired people. Under the scheme you pay a percentage (usually 70%) of the value of the property. 

With LSE Schemes you do not pay any rent to Home Group for the percentage you have not personally purchased. You will however be liable for all service charges. The 30% share you have not purchased is a ‘payment discount’ which is locked into the property. This means other purchasers can benefit from the discount in the future as and when they purchase.    

Like with the OPSO purchase option, if you are interested in buying one of these homes, you will need to meet an affordability assessment and the independent living criteria.  As well as these, other qualifying criteria may also apply to some of our retirement developments.

Outright Purchasing



Home Group offers a range of private, self-contained properties and developments for outright purchase. They offer a competitively priced solution if you have savings or assets and are looking to downsize.  

The only requirements we ask of you if you are looking to buy one of our outright purchase properties are that you can demonstrate you are capable of independent living and meet the development age criteria.  



Your own place at your own pace

Retirement is all about you. It’s your time to do exactly what you want, your way. With this in mind our leasehold opportunities are designed with practicality in mind and come with easy maintenance as standard. Each of our Independent living developments have been carefully planned to offer convenience, comfort and security with some having a range of communal facilities and services.

Every location and area we’re involved with offers a range of transport links and recreational activities, ensuring a balance of practical living and emotional wellbeing. Our developments are located throughout North East and North West, London, the South East and East Anglia and offer a huge choice of residential areas. We’re sure to have properties to interest anyone looking to downsize in later life. 

At Home Group we believe that the less time you spend managing your home, the more time you can spend relaxing or whatever it is you choose to do. 

For details of what our properties have to offer, please visit our ‘for sale listing’ page.

Good living for later life


Home Group’s Independent Living developments help make your retirement living enjoyable and provide a great start to a whole new beginning.

Our properties and services allow you to ease into your new life as smoothly as possible. We offer a choice of living spaces designed with your lifestyle needs in mind: from flats and apartments to bungalows. We’re sure to have something that suits your preferred location and price range. 

Not only that, our in-house sales team is dedicated to providing you with the right property to suit your lifestyle. Whether it’s a quiet residential area and a relaxing garden or a central location close to transport links with the recreational amenities you’ve set your heart on, we’ll help you find your own place, in every way we can. 

It’s your time to take it easy, that’s why we make it easy.