Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to 64 years with a long-term health condition or disability and difficulties with daily living or mobility.

Those aged 65 years or over on 8 April 2013 will continue to receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for as long as they are eligible.



Personal Independence Payment is now in place for new claimants across Britain.  



Only children under 16 can now make new claims for DLA.



Existing DLA claimants will be invited to claim PIP by 2017, with all assessments complete in 2018.



It is important you act on the invite as soon as you get it.



If you currently receive DLA and ignore the invitation to apply your DLA will eventually come to an end even if you had a lifetime or indefinite award.


  • How will my Personal Independence Payment be paid?

    • Personal Independence Payments will be:

      •    usually paid every four weeks
      •    tax-free
      •    not means tested
      •    for those both in and out of work
      •    exempt from the under occupancy charge (bedroom tax).

      PIP is split into two parts and claimants may be eligible for either or for both parts.  These are:

      •    daily living - money for people who need help to take part in everyday activities
      •    mobility - money for people who need help to get around.

      Each of the two parts has two rates – standard and enhanced. You can’t claim both the standard and enhanced rate under one part.
  • How do I apply?

    • It will usually include an initial phone call, a written form and an assessment with an independent health professional, often including a face-to-face consultation.

      If you have a support worker, they can telephone on your behalf, so long as you are with them.

      They can also assist with the application process.

      You may also be eligible for additional support depending on the level of PIP awarded, such as Vehicle Tax Exemption/Reduction or Attendance Allowance.

      If you are unhappy with a decision about your claim, you will need to apply to the DWP to have it reconsidered.

      If you are still not happy with the outcome following this, you can apply to the courts and tribunal service to appeal the decision.