Benefits cap rules: New changes

Latest updates on benefit cap.


On 7th November 2016, the Government introduced a limit on the total amount of state benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the benefit cap. 


This means that the amount of benefits that you receive from certain benefits  may reduce to make sure the total isn’t more than the cap amount. 

The new cap amounts are available to view here. 


These changes should not affect the majority of our customers.  However, where the amount of total benefit is reduced, this will most likely to be deducted from your Housing Benefit or Housing Element of Universal Credit.   For further details on how you might be affected, please refer to the Department of Work and Pension’s website:  Benefit cap - GOV.UK


How will my benefits be adjusted?

If you receive Universal Credit, then your total payment will be adjusted to ensure your total benefits don’t exceed the maximum amount.  The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) should have contacted you already to inform you if this is the case.



If you DON’T get Universal Credit, your housing benefit will be reduced accordingly.  Again, your  local authority should have contacted you to inform you if this is the case. 



What do I need to do?

If you are informed of a change to your benefits, you will need to continue to pay your rent in full and on time. It’s worth setting up a Direct Debit to help you budget with regular payments and so that you know your rent is being paid. 


Call us on 0345 141 4663 to arrange or change a Direct Debit.


What should I do if I struggle to pay my rent?

 Have a look at our webpages or leaflets on money advice and budgeting.


You may be eligible for a discretionary housing payment from your local authority. You can find out more and how to apply here.

You can also seek further advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.