Annual gas safety check

By law, Home Group must inspect gas appliances in your home every year. We carry this out as part of our service to you.

If you have not had a gas service check in the past year please telephone 0345 141 4663.

 

Our contractors’ engineers who carry out this work are registered with the Gas Safe Register (formally known as CORGI). During the servicing we will check all flues, chimneys, appliances and gas piping in your home. The engineer will give you a copy of the Landlords Gas Safety Certificate as evidence that the work has been carried out. You need to keep this in a safe place and you’ll be contacted when your next service is due.

 

Carbon Monoxide

It is essential that you have your gas boiler serviced every year; it takes minutes to make an appointment and could save your life. Without your boiler or gas fire being serviced carbon monoxide can be produced. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that cannot be seen and is odourless and can kill a person in minutes. What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

The symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning may be non-specific and similar to those of viral cold and flu infections or food poisoning: headache, nausea, abdominal pain, dizziness, sore throat and dry cough. But, unlike flu infection, carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't cause a high temperature.

 

 

In children, the symptoms are similar to those of a stomach upset, with nausea and vomiting. More severe poisoning can result in a fast and irregular heart rate, hyperventilation, confusion, drowsiness and difficulty breathing. Seizures and loss of consciousness may also occur.

 

 

Some symptoms can occur a few days or even months after exposure to carbon monoxide. These may include confusion, loss of memory and problems with coordination.

 

 

More information on detecting carbon monoxide

What to do if you suspect someone is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning

 

  • Take them outside into the fresh air
  • Dial 999 for an ambulance and tell them it is a case of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Turn off the gas at the meter
  • DO NOT re-enter the building until the boiler has been checked by a professional.
In an Emergency

 

If you smell gas contact the National Gas Emergency Centre on 0800 111 999 immediately; and

 

  • Turn off the gas supply immediately
  • Extinguish all sources of ignition
  • Do not smoke 
  • Do not operate electrical power switches
  • Open doors and windows 
  • Evacuate the property
  • Seek medical advice