Service charges and administration fees

Whether you purchased your property as a freeholder, leaseholder or shared owner you will have signed a contract detailing your financial obligations.

You will usually pay a service charge to cover the cost of looking after the building and/or estate where your property is situated. This could include shared areas, such as gardens and corridors, or buildings insurance.

If you want Home Group to provide a service not covered by the service charge we may charge a separate administration fee.


Read more about our service charges and management fees here.

  • What are service charges?

    • These are the costs you are required to pay under the terms of your lease or legal contract.

      The charges relate to the management of the scheme. They include service contracts for the care of communal areas and facilities of the estate and/or building in which your property is situated, as well as utility supplies, safety matters and insurance.

  • Why do I have to pay service charges?

    • When you bought your property you will have signed a lease or legal contract which includes your financial responsibilities. 

      Your solicitor will have advised you about the costs involved, and you would have received a breakdown of the charges when you bought your property.

  • When do service charges have to be paid?

    • You will pay your service charge monthly, quarterly, or annually in advance depending on the terms of your lease or legal contract.

      The charge is estimated in advance. The estimated costs are compared with the actual costs after the end of the financial year so we can advise you if there is a difference. A statement providing the details of this comparison will be sent to you no more than 6 months after the end of the financial year. If the estimate was not enough you may be asked to make an extra payment at this stage.

  • How do I pay?

    • You can pay by Direct Debit, standing order, cheque or by calling our payment line (0345 141 4663, option 1) and using your debit or credit card.

      Find out more about how to contact us here.

  • What do I do if I want to challenge the service charge?

    • Find out how to contact usYou will need to explain the details of your challenge and provide any supporting evidence that could help us investigate your concerns. 

      You can ask us to provide copies of the invoices and receipts that support the expenditure we say we have incurred in the management of the scheme where your property is situated.

  • Other useful contacts

    • We recommend you obtain independent specialist advice if you have any concerns about the management costs you are being charged. You might find the following details helpful.

      The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE)
      Tel: 0207 832 2500
      You can email them or speak to someone on the phone and there is no charge.

      The Leasehold Advisory Service is a Non Departmental Public Body (NDPB) funded by the government to provide free advice on the law affecting residential leaseholds.