Question:

What should I do if I experience a power cut?

Answer


The first thing you should do in the event of a power cut is check your trip switch, wiring and appliances. 

You power can trip for a number of reasons:

•    An overloaded circuit - too many electrical appliances used at once

•    A faulty appliance

•    Over filled kettle

•    Faulty connections on appliance leads

•    Faulty immersion heater

If a switch has tripped because of one of these reasons, you should flick it back on and then re-plug appliances in one by one.

If the switch trips again, you will know that particular item is faulty.

If there are no switches tripped in your fuse box, there might be a power cut in your area. Visit your power supplier’s website to find out if there’s a planned or unplanned outage in your area:

England

•    North East England 

•    North West England 

•    Yorkshire 

•    Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales and North Shropshire 

•    East Midlands, West Midlands, South Wales & South West England 

•    Eastern England 

•    Southern England 

•    London and South East England 

Scotland

•    North Scotland 

•    Central and Southern Scotland 

If you have no tripped switches and there is no power cut in your area, an electrician may need to visit your home.