The government recently made an announcement about opening up the Right to Buy scheme to Housing Associations.
However, many key details of how the policy will work have yet to be confirmed and the governement are not able to release any further details at the moment.
Home Group are looking into the implications for our customers however, at this time we are unable to provide you with any information regarding the qualifying criteria until the amendments to the legislation have been released.
The details on this page around elligibility pre-date the recent announcement.
Who is elligible?
- if you are a secure tenant or assured tenant with protected right to buy (PRTB) status who has spent a minimum total period of two years with a public sector landlord (or five years if your tenancy commenced on or after 18 January 2005), and
- if you occupy your house as your only or principal home, or
- if you are the joint tenant of a tenancy with a person who satisfies all of the above, or
- if you were assigned the tenancy by a member of your family who immediately before the assignment satisfied all of the above, or
- if you became the tenant under divorce legislation in place of a person satisfying all of the above, or
- if you are a family member of a previous sole tenant who satisfied all of the above who inherited the tenancy, or
- if you are a former spouse or co-habitee of a deceased tenant who acquired the RTB by succession.
You may exercise the RTA if:
- you are an assured or secure tenant who has spent a minimum total period of two years with a public sector landlord (or five years if your tenancy commenced on or after 18 January 2005), and
- you occupy your house as your only or principal home, and
- your home is a self-contained property, which was built or purchased by a registered provider, funded on or after 1 April 1997 through social housing grant. A property transferred from a local council to a registered provider on or after that date will also qualify for the scheme.
We can provide free advice on buying your home. If you are approached by private companies or individuals with offers of help, check out what they will gain from it. They may help submit an application, but may make a charge for this service. Please note that you can apply directly to Home Group, at no cost to you if you qualify for the Right to Buy or Right to Acquire. Help will be given if needed, to complete the form.
If you have any questions, need further explanation about anything or would like to apply please call Anne Douse, Home Group Sales on (0191) 290 7729 (office hours are from 9am - 5pm).