Home / For Customers / mutual exchange - home swap

how home exhange works

We are now working in partnership with HomeSwapper (opens new window) which is a service providing mutual exchanges for social housing tenants.

If you would like to move within your area, outside your area or even to another social landlord you can register your details on the HomeSwapper website and they will search for matches for you and let you know when they’ve found them.

Once you’ve found a suitable match you will have to let us know so we can then start the process of getting you into your new home!  The people you are swapping homes with will also need to notify their landlord. 

We want to make it easy for you to move home but it is important you are aware that there are certain factors which could lead us to not granting permission for a swap, for example if you have rent arrears.

want to find out more?

To see how the service works and to enter your details go to the Home Swapper website (opens in new window).

If you need more advice about the mutual exchange process in general please contact your local housing office.

edinburgh house exchange

The Edinburgh House Exchange website is a new service, designed to bring together tenants who are looking to swap their home.

EdIndex is a partnership made up of 21 Edinburgh landlords, including Home Scotland.  You can register free for the House Exchange service at www.edinburgh.houseexchange.org.uk (opens in new window) even if your tenancy is outside Edinburgh.   

When you register you will be asked to provide some details including your current property and the type of property that you are looking for.

Once registered, the information you provided will be checked and approved by Home Scotland.  Your login details will then be sent out in the post and your property will appear in our database. 

From there you can search the site and find someone to swap homes with.   

Please note that you must be a Scottish Secure Tenant before your request for a mutual exchange will be considered.

For more information please contact House Exchange on 0131 529 5080.

Dundee House Exchange

Tenants in the Dundee area can now use the free online house exchange service to register their property and search for other properties by visiting the site www.houseexchange.org.uk (opens in new window) shared by Dundee City Council and other registered social landlords.

© home group | legal statement