Home / For Customers / avoid the bedroom tax and swap homes
man in blue sleeveless jumper sitting on sofa smiling

Under new legislation by the government, from April 2013 the way in which benefits are calculated is changing.

Under the new reformed welfare system, benefits will be capped so that people out of work cannot receive more in benefits each month than the average earnings of people in work.

There will also be the introduction of what has been dubbed a ‘bedroom tax’ for anyone that is deemed to be under occupying their home.

This means from April 2013, anyone that is under occupying their home by 1 bedroom will loose 14% of their housing benefits and 25% if under occupying by 2 or more bedrooms.

The difference will then need to be made up by the individual.

What can I do to avoid the bedroom tax?

One way to avoid the bedroom tax is to swap homes with other people. The Home Swap scheme allows individuals to exchange homes with one another.

This service is available to all Home Group customers and allows tenants to swap homes with one another for free. You can also swap homes with customers of other social housing landlords across the country and is free of charge.

You can exchange your home for:

  • Smaller homes
  • Larger homes
  • Homes in different areas of the country
  • Etc.

How do I swap my home?

Exchanging your home is simple, and can be done in a few simple steps:

  1. Register with HomeSwapper.co.uk
  2. Search for a house
  3. Agree the move with the individual
  4. Gain written permission from the social landlords involved
  5. MOVE!

Important note:

Written permission is required before you can exchange your home. You are unlikely to gain permission if you are in arrears with your rent. If you are in arrears you should speak to your social landlord who will look at your situation on a case by case basis.

For people looking to swap homes in Scotland, please visit our mutal exchange section of our site for specific information on swapping homes in Edinburgh and Dundee.

Worried about benefit changes?

If you are worried about how changes to the benefit system will affect you, speak to your Customer Service Provider (CSP) for advice.

Alternatively there are a number of other organisations available:

Join us

Facebook logo Twitter logo
© home group | legal statement